When Hyper-V gets successful nan measurement of third-party virtualization applications, disable it connected Windows 11 utilizing these tips.
- Hyper-V tin conflict pinch third-party virtualization devices and apps connected Windows 11, causing errors erstwhile launching them. Disabling Hyper-V tin resoluteness this issue.
- You tin disable Hyper-V utilizing nan Windows Features dialog aliases nan BCDEdit tool. Restart your PC aft making changes to use them.
- If nan Windows Features dialog fails, usage nan Command Prompt aliases PowerShell to disable Hyper-V. Uninstall Hyper-V's virtual web adapters and disable Memory Integrity and Device Guard/Credential Guard for optimal performance.
Hyper-V comes pre-installed connected Windows 11 computers. While this virtualization instrumentality is not disposable retired of nan container connected nan Home version of nan OS, you tin instal it pinch a batch script.
Unfortunately, Hyper-V tin conflict pinch third-party apps connected your PC, including different virtualization devices specified arsenic VMWare Workstation, VirtualBox, and emulators. As a result, you whitethorn brushwood nan Hyper-V detected correction erstwhile trying to motorboat an app, PC games, aliases hardware tuning utilities.
Luckily, you tin disable Hyper-V successful Windows 11 pinch nan thief of nan classical Windows Features dialog, Command Prompt, and PowerShell.
Why You May Need to Disable Hyper-V
By design, only 1 virtualization instrumentality tin usage nan integrated virtualization extension, specified arsenic Intel VT-x and AMD-V, disposable connected your processor. If you request to usage third-party virtualization software, including VMware WorkStation and Virtual Box, you must disable nan Hyper-V Hypervisor.
You whitethorn besides request to disable different hypervisor-dependent features, including Device Guard, Credential Guard, and representation integrity characteristic portion of Core Isolation successful Windows Security.
How to Check if Hyper-V Is Running connected Windows 11
You tin entree nan System Information app to find if nan Hyper-V virtualization is running. This is useful if you request to verify nan Hyper-V hypervisor position aft aliases earlier disabling it.
To cheque nan Hyper-V hypervisor position connected your computer:
- Press Win + R to unfastened Run.
- Type msinfo32.exe and click OK to unfastened nan apps.
- Next, cheque if nan pursuing introduction is disposable astatine nan bottommost of nan specifications tab: A hypervisor has been detected. Features required for Hyper-V will not beryllium displayed.
- If yes, you'll request to disable Hyper-V, Memory integrity, and nan Credential Guard feature, arsenic discussed below, to usage different virtualization devices without immoderate error.
1. How to Disable Hyper-V via Windows Optional Features
The Windows Features dialog lets you adhd further features abnormal by default successful Windows 11. You tin besides usage it to disable immoderate precocious features, including Hyper-V.
Note that to hole nan Hyper-V detected error, you must disable nan Virtual Machine Platform and Windows Hypervisor Platform characteristic successful summation to Hyper-V.
To disable Hyper-V utilizing nan Windows Features dialog:
- Press nan Win + R cardinal to unfastened nan Run dialog.
- Type control and click OK to unfastened nan Control Panel.
- In nan Control Panel, click connected Programs.
- Next, click connected Programs and Features.
- In nan near pane, click connected Turn Windows features connected aliases off.
- In nan Windows Features dialog, find Hyper-V.
- Uncheck nan Hyper-V option to disable nan feature.
- Next, scroll down and find nan Virtual Machine Platform and Windows Hypervisor Platform options.
- Unselect some options and click OK.
- Windows will uninstall Hyper-V and different features from your system.
- Once done, restart your PC to use nan changes.
2. How to Disable Hyper-V Using BCDEDIT
You tin disable Hyper-V successful footwear configuration utilizing nan BCDEdit tool. This is useful if you only want to deactivate Hyper-V and not uninstall it completely.
To disable Hyper-V utilizing BCDEdit:
- Press nan Win key and type cmd.
- Right-click connected nan Command Prompt and select Run arsenic administrator.
- In nan Command Prompt window, type nan pursuing bid and property Enter: bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
- When nan occurrence connection appears, adjacent nan Command Prompt and restart your PC to use nan changes.
- If you request to activate Hyper-V again, usage nan pursuing command: bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto
- Make judge to restart your PC to use nan changes.
Additionally, you tin usage nan BCDEdit instrumentality to execute different precocious tasks, specified arsenic deleting nan aged footwear paper options and adding a safe mode shortcut to nan Windows 11 footwear menu.
3. How to Uninstall Hyper-V Using nan Command Prompt
If nan Windows Features dialog fails to region Hyper-V, you tin usage nan Command Prompt to disable nan hypervisor. Here's really to do it:
- Open Command Prompt arsenic administrator.
- In nan Command Prompt window, type nan pursuing bid and property Enter: dism /online /disable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-hyper-v-all
- Upon execution, nan DISM instrumentality will disable Hyper-V and show nan cognition completed successfully connection to bespeak successful execution.
- Type exit, press Enter to adjacent nan Command Prompt, and restart your PC.
After nan restart, you tin tally your games and different hypervisors without nan error. If not, unfastened nan Windows Features dialog, disable nan Virtual Machine Platform and Windows Hypervisor Platform options, and restart your PC to move disconnected Hyper-V Hypervisor.
4. How to Disable Hyper-V Using PowerShell
If you for illustration PowerShell, usage nan WindowsOptionalFeature cmdlet to disable Hyper-V successful Windows 11. To do this, launch PowerShell pinch admin privileges and execute nan command. Here's really to do it:
- Press nan Win key and type powershell.
- Right-click connected PowerShell and prime Run arsenic administrator.
- Click Yes when prompted by User Account Control.
- In nan PowerShell window, transcript and paste nan bid beneath and property Enter: Disable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Hyper-V-All
- Wait for nan process to complete. Once done, adjacent PowerShell and restart your PC to use nan changes.
How to Uninstall nan Hyper-V Virtual Network Adapter
During nan restart pursuing nan uninstallation of Hyper-V, you whitethorn often brushwood nan message, "We couldn't complete nan updates, undoing changes." To resoluteness this issue, guarantee nan Hyper-V virtual web adapters are deleted from your PC. You tin delete nan virtual web adapter from Device Manager.
To delete Hyper-V's virtual web adapters:
- Press Win + R to unfastened Run.
- Type dvmgmt.msc and click OK to unfastened Device Manager.
- In Device Manager, grow nan Network Adapters conception to find nan Hyper-V Virtual web adapters.
- If nary virtual adapters associated pinch Hyper-V are listed, click View and prime Show hidden devices.
- Right-click connected the Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter and prime Uninstall device.
Do not region nan Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter.
- Click Uninstall to corroborate nan action.
- Repeat nan steps to delete each nan virtual web adapters associated pinch Hyper-V.
- Once done, adjacent Device Manager and restart your PC. Next, uninstall Hyper-V and cheque for immoderate improvements.
How to Turn Off Virtualization-Based Security (Memory Integrity)
If you brushwood nan Hyper-V detected rumor moreover aft you disable Hyper-V, effort to disable nan Memory integrity characteristic successful Windows Security. The Memory integrity characteristic is portion of Core Isolation. It helps forestall hackers from accessing and infecting high-security processes utilizing malicious code.
By default, Windows disables nan Memory integrity characteristic to debar conflict pinch apps and instrumentality drivers owed to incompatibility issues. This tin besides origin issues pinch third-party virtualization devices and programs needing entree to your system's virtualization hardware.
To move disconnected Memory integrity successful Windows Security:
- Press Win + I to unfastened nan Settings app.
- In nan near pane, click connected the Privacy & security tab.
- Next, click connected Windows Security.
- Under nan Protection areas section, click connected Device security.
- Next, click on Core isolation specifications under nan Core isolation section.
- Toggle nan move nether Memory integrity to move it Off.
- Restart your PC to use nan changes.
How to Disable Device Guard and Credential Guard
Device Guard and Credential Guard don't play good pinch different virtualization software, including VMware Workstation. You whitethorn brushwood an correction saying Device Guard/Credential Guard is enabled erstwhile trying to powerfulness connected nan VMware Workstation.
Since you intend to usage third-party virtualization software, you tin safely disable Device Guard and Credential Guard utilizing nan Registry Editor.
That said, modifying nan Windows Registry involves risk. We urge you create a reconstruct point and take a registry backup earlier attempting immoderate modifications.
To disable Device Guard and Credential Guard:
- Press Win + R to unfastened Run.
- Type regedit and click OK to unfastened Registry Editor.
- In Registry Editor, navigate to nan pursuing location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
- In nan correct pane, find nan LsaCfgFlags DWORD value. You'll request to create a caller cardinal if nary specified worth exists.
- To create a caller key, right-click nan Lsa subkey successful nan near pane and prime New < DWORD (32-bit) value. Rename nan worth arsenic LsaCfgFlags.
- Next, double-click connected LsaCfgFlags and type 0 successful nan Value data field.
- Click OK to prevention nan changes.
- Next, successful Registry Editor, navigate to nan pursuing location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard
- In nan correct pane, cheque if nan EnableVirtualizationBasedSecurity worth exists. If not, right-click the DeviceGuard subkey and prime New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Next, rename nan cardinal arsenic EnableVirtualizationBasedSecurity and group its worth to 0.
- Click OK to prevention nan changes.
Restart your machine to use nan changes and disable Device Guard and Credential Guard. If you ever request to alteration these features, modify nan worth information and alteration it to 1.
Hyper-V is an fantabulous inferior if you want an out-of-the-box virtualization solution. However, you must disable Hyper-V to usage third-party virtualization software, including VirtualBox and WMware Workstation.
Fortunately, you tin easy disable nan Hyper-V Hypervisor and different Virtualization-based Security solutions to usage third-party hypervisors without errors.