Windows has a typical WindowsApps folder, but you request to execute immoderate first steps to entree it.
The Windows Operating System has a hidden files called "WindowsApps." It stores Microsoft exertion files and different important files to heighten your Windows experience. The files usually contains a ample magnitude of reusable space. This is because it besides contains those exertion files you uninstalled from your PC earlier.
Thankfully, you tin region unnecessary files from nan WindowsApps files to free up immoderate space. But it's a small difficult to get to this files because it's protected and hidden successful Windows File Explorer. Here are immoderate ways to entree nan WindowsApps Folder connected Windows and make basal changes to it.
What Is nan WindowsApps Folder?
You tin find nan WindowsApps files nether nan C:\Program Files directory successful Windows 10 and 11. This files has each nan files related to UWP packages aliases Windows apps that you get from nan Microsoft Store aliases that travel preinstalled connected Windows OS.
The problem is that a basal Windows personification aliases moreover a strategy administrator personification relationship can't entree aliases alteration nan files successful nan folder. This is because it is owned by a Microsoft relationship named "TrustedInstaller." We've already covered everything astir TrustedInstaller and really to disable it successful detail.
Even if you uninstall aliases debloat immoderate of nan apps connected Windows, nan halfway exertion files are not removed from nan WindowsApps folder. So, location are chances that specified apps will reappear aft a caller Windows update.
This is why we urge utilizing 1 of nan popular package uninstallers for Windows. Because these devices not only uninstall an app wholly but besides cleanable up immoderate leftovers and traces from each nan secured folders.
If you don't cognize what you're doing—modifying aliases deleting nan files successful nan WindowsApps files could origin strategy errors aliases moreover origin nan Windows operating strategy to crash.
There are galore ways to entree nan WindowsApps files and bypass nan protection to summation entree to nan basal files.
Method 1. How to Access WindowsApps via File Explorer
You tin easy find nan WindowsApps files successful nan Windows File Explorer by unhiding nan respective files first. However, to entree nan files and make changes to nan files—you request to summation immoderate other authorities by changing nan ownership.
Follow these steps to position nan WindowsApps files first:
- Open nan Windows File Explorer (Win + E) and spell to nan C:\Program Files directory.
- Now, click nan View options fastener astatine nan apical of nan File Explorer.
- Click aliases hover complete nan Show button and prime nan Hidden items action to alteration it.
That's it. Now, you tin spot the WindowsApps files successful nan aforesaid directory.
If you effort to unfastened it, you'll spot an accusation popup saying, "You person been denied permission." So, to really entree that files and summation exclusive publication and constitute rights—you've sewage to do a spot more.
Change Ownership Properties to Get Access
For nan adjacent steps, you request a personification relationship pinch administrative rights. If you're a beginner, you must cognize everything astir nan Administrator account to understand nan steps better.
Follow nan steps mentioned beneath to alteration nan ownership authorities and entree nan required folder:
- Select nan WindowsApps files and right-click connected it.
- Once nan discourse paper appears, prime Properties from nan list. You tin besides usage a speedy shortcut to unfastened nan files properties, i.e., Alt + Enter.
- Now, nether nan Properties window. Click nan Security tab and past nan Advanced option located right astatine nan bottom.
- Once you've opened nan Advanced Security Settings window, click nan Change matter adjacent to Owner.
- Now, click Advanced > Find Now > Administrator connected nan pursuing screen.
- Finally, click OK to prime nan Administrator arsenic nan proprietor and again OK to prevention nan changes.
- Then, tick nan checkbox earlier nan Replace proprietor connected sub containers and objects text.
- Now, click nan Apply button, followed by nan OK button, to initiate nan process of transferring ownership.
- Once done, click nan OK button connected nan adjacent pop-up.
If you followed nan steps supra to return ownership of nan WindowsApps folder, you tin now move aliases delete files from that folder.
When you don't region automatic package installations from nan Microsoft store, nan WindowsApps files occupies a sizeable spot of disc space. So, it becomes basal for you to entree this files erstwhile and cheque for nan files that you nary longer need.
Moreover, you tin besides cheque retired immoderate free devices for taking power of files and folders connected Windows. Such devices let you to return afloat ownership of each your files and folders pinch a azygous click.
Method 2. How to Access WindowsApps via a PowerShell Command
The File Explorer-based method is beautiful analyzable for a newbie. Use PowerShell to complete your occupation if you're looking for an easy-to-go method. Using Windows PowerShell is simply a beautiful straightforward and automated measurement of doing nan aforesaid thing.
Follow these steps to entree nan WindowsApps files utilizing PowerShell:
1. Launch nan Windows commencement paper aliases Windows hunt by pressing Win + Q.
2. Type successful PowerShell and click nan Run arsenic Administrator action to tally PowerShell pinch administrator rights. Besides, you must besides cognize immoderate different ways to unfastened PowerShell connected Windows for early usage.
4. In Powershell, tally nan pursuing bid and property nan Enter key:takeown /f “C:\Program Files\WindowsApps” /r
The supra bid will reconstruct each nan files aliases files ownership to nan strategy administrator. It will return immoderate clip for your administrator personification relationship to go nan proprietor of nan WindowsApps files and everything successful it.
The entree you summation by executing nan supra process is akin to that of nan Windows File Explorer-based method. You person conscionable automated nan process and eliminated nan unhiding of strategy files. Now, you tin backmost up, clear immoderate space, aliases make changes to nan Windows apps' back-end files.
If you're facing crashes while executing nan file, make judge to cheque retired immoderate effective ways to hole PowerShell clang errors.
3. How to Access WindowsApps via a Registry Hack
There's different speedy measurement to do nan aforesaid point pinch conscionable a fewer steps. If you cannot usage nan PowerShell method stated above, you tin usage a elemental registry hack to entree nan files successful 1 go.
Here's really you tin return afloat ownership of nan discourse paper for your files and folders and get to nan WindowsApps folder:
- Download nan Take Ownership registry file.
- Extract nan zip and unfastened nan Add Take Ownership to Context paper registry file.
- On nan adjacent screen, click Yes to adhd it to nan registry.
- Next, exit nan popup by clicking OK and navigate to nan C:\Program Files directory.
- Select nan WindowsApps folder and right-click connected it.
- From nan discourse menu, click nan Take Ownership option.
- In nan Command Prompt, you must give User Account Control Administrator rights for nan registry hack to work. After that, please hold a fewer minutes for nan model to close. Soon, it will show occurrence messages perpetually successful nan Command Prompt.
Once finished, you'll nary longer look nan "You've been denied permission" correction connected clicking nan WindowsApps folder.
Enjoy Unrestricted Access to nan WindowsApps Folder
Using 1 of nan provided methods, you should now beryllium capable to position nan hidden files and folders wrong nan WindowsApps folder. Now that you cognize everything astir it, you tin easy make changes to nan UWP packages that are safe.
Moreover, successful nan WindowsApps folder—you tin region Windows app remnants, unfastened immoderate package straight from nan .EXE file, and inspect each removed packages, among different things.